Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Self Portraits






For our Self-Portrait project we were to take three self-portraits. They were all to be in black and white, and they were all to capture a mood of some sort. We were also challenged to be as artistic as possible, and stay as far away from normal, cliche portraits that we see on personal pages etc. as possible.One had to use the rule of thirds as the base for the composition; One had to incorporate leading lines, and one had to be taken from a more extreme angle.


It was a bit difficult for me to create a portrait of myself partly because I enjoy taking pictures of others more than myself but also because the project had to feel artistic than just a regular picture and that was sort of hard to create at the school campus. Therefore, I brought with me some props like the book and an empty frame. In the rule of thirds picture and the leading line picture are based on the fact that education is important in my life so i displayed my "nerdy" self by having my hair up in a ponytail, regular clothes and reading almost the end of the book. However, the angle picture was, I believe, a more original one. The angle of the frame is placed like so for a reason and that is to portrait that I'm a bit different. I wanted to say that not everyone has to fit "inside the box". This is why I liked this picture the best because of the gray scale, the contrast of colors, and the four lines that emphasise me, but there is something annoying of that picture, the gum on the background!! Next time I'll find a better background for my picture. The most difficult part was to create a mood though. A minute before of this picture I was dancing and playing around and of course laughing with my partners. Overall my project its okay but next time maybe i could think more of things that portrait me to make the pictures more artistic and unique.

1 comment:

Miss Cook said...

Your portfolio is looking fantastic! Keep up the great work!